In this interview with Sharon Rose of “Tea for Two,” Patt describes her experiences of growing up in northern Minnesota and her journey of discovery in learning about how to heal the mind and rewire the brain.
In this video from her presentation at the 2010 International Society for Neurofeedback and Research Conference, Patt tells the story of how she got started with meditation and how she became inspired to share her experience of “finding home base” with her family, friends, clients and readers.
After Patt’s first 6-month meditation retreat, she asked herself “If I can experience this incredible, incredible state of happiness, and it can ride through me all the time – I don’t need to find it out there, it’s here, there’s no doubt it comes from here – how can I teach this to other people?”
She also talks about The Brain Mirror as an important feedback tool that she used to observe her own neuronal patterns during states of happiness and anxiety.
In this final segment of Patt Lind Kyle’s interview with Dr. Emmett Miller of Healing Times Radio, Patt talks about The Enneagram as a tool to discover what you are not.
In this video, Patt Lind-Kyle describes her experience of the Theta brainwave state during Segment 7 of her interview with Emmett Miller, MD on Healing Times Radio. She talks about an experience of oneness and a knowing that we are not separate from each other while experiencing the Theta brainwave state.
- What is the brainwave frequency called beta, what is its frequency, what does it do to the mind and what kind of behavior does one have while in beta?
- How does one reduce fast brain waves to calm the system and move into the brainwave frequency for strategic thinking (at 15 Hz within the beta range)?
- What happens around 12 Hz with our attention and ability to focus/concentrate?
In the book, Patt looks at these 3 areas and suggests exercises to manage these brainwave states:
1) Learning to relax the entire body in order to get to know the body and reduce pain
2) Using the CD’s to help learn this process
Dr. Miller asks: How do people know if they are in the meditative state? Patt answers:
- Meditation is deeper than relaxation
- Once the body is very quiet and relaxed, then you can notice your breath and sense the rhythm to the breath
- Then you notice body sensations, visual sensations, thoughts, sounds
- Then you are in the next level: alpha (an aware state) and you look to see “who’s aware?” by noticing the observer – moving to the bridge from conscious state to meditation state/sub-conscious state
- This awareness becomes habituated for most people so it is important to learn these techniques
In this video, Emmett Miller, MD asks Patt, “what can people learn from this book?” Patt answers:
The book is split into 2 parts:
1) the science of the brain
– how the brain works
– how the mind works
– what happens they flow together and what stops the flow
2) the brain and its electrical and chemical components
– the 4 neurochemicals
– the 4 brainwaves
– what happens when they are out of balance and in balance
Patt Lind-Kyle talks about the integration of science and spirituality with respect to the mind and brain working together to arrive at a sense of who we are. This short video is segment 3 of the interview with Emmett Miller, MD on Healing Times Radio with Patt Lind-Kyle, author of Heal Your Mind, Rewire Your Brain.
In this video interview with Emmett Miller, MD on Healing Times Radio, Patt talks about:
- how she began her book, Heal Your Mind, Rewire Your Brain and
- the difference between spiritual consciousness and ordinary consciousness
- how an EEG machine helped Patt understand her own brain waves states and apply that knowledge for others
- how she got started working with the 4 brain waves
If playback gets stuck or hangs up, try turning off “HD” by rolling over the upper right-hand corner of the playback window and clicking “HD on” to toggle HD playback off.
In this video, Patt describes the different areas of the brain and the 4 brain wave frequencies: beta, alpha, theta and delta.
Books & Audio
- Embracing the End of Life: A Journey into Dying & Awakening
- Heal Your Mind, Rewire your Brain by Patt Lind-Kyle
- Audacious Aging’s “Building Community from the Inside Out” by Patt Lind-Kyle
- When Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up by Patt Lind-Kyle
- Guided meditations by Patt Lind-Kyle on CD or MP3